“What you don’t see you don’t mind.” a short phrase from Ms. Regina Evangelista, our speaker for the “Virtual Assistant Boot Camp 2014” last May 24, 2014 at Lispher Inn. I have met people with different perspective in life, people with different experiences, people with inspiring life ideas but with the same goal — work less but earn more. What is a Virtual Assistant? Being an independent contractor means taking care of everything. Clients, bills and other obligations — everything is in your hands. First, let’s start with the advantages of being a Virtual Assistant.
- You are the boss!
- Work anywhere you want (beach, park, etc.)
- Choose your own expertise.
- Helping entrepreneurs to succeed.
- Flexible hours.
- Earn at least 20,000 a month.
- Knowledge transfer.
- Working with different cultures.
Second, what are the Virtual Assistant tools?
- Strong internet connection
- Cloud storage (dropbox, google drive)
- Communication (skype, google+)
- Time Doctor/Tracker
- Lastpass – storage for passwords
- Home office
Virtual Assistant skills to get the job!
- English proficient
- Computer skills – processing skills, typing skills, data entry skills, etc.
- Internet savvy
- Communication skills
- Willingness to learn
- Eye for details
The boot camp also discussed about Social Media Management. There are a lot of Social Media sites nowadays; Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Linkedin, Pinterest etc. And a lot of business today uses Social Media to popularized their company, increased revenue, reduced cost and to brand building. Some companies hires a Virtual Assistant to do the Social Media jobs for them and there are Social Media tools to do the task quickly, these are Hootsuite, Buffer Apps, UberVu, Shoutlet, Simply Measured, Viralheat. The other topic that the Boot Camp discussed are the difference between East and West. EAST
- Boss (people with higher position)
- Action takers (longer)
- Social people
- Easy to please
- Their boss is the “team”
- Action takers (quick)
- Strictly punctual
There are really a lot of differences between East and West but we should remember that these people are our client. We should give them respect and we should also be respected. It’s a give and take process, finished their desired project and get paid! And speaking of clients, there are 6 kinds of them.
- The Intruders – a client that intrudes your privacy. They changes your password and some of your profiles.
- The Henchman – a client who wants all ways possible.
- The Score – a client who pays on time.
- The Lookout – a client who is always watching your moves.
- The Ghost – a client who is always absent. Doesn’t show up for a couple of months and then appears after.
- The Partners in Crime – this is the perfect client for you. They usually is your boss and your friend at the same time.
By the way, how to keep these clients working with you?
- Time – you give them your time. Let them know that you are always on the go to check them out and to help you with your project.
- No Monkey Business – prove to them that you can be trusted. Never make illegal actions that may harm your relationship with your client.
- Communication – communicating with them is important, in this way you can earn their trust. Always be reliable and flexible.
And, when to fire them?
- If your clients treat you badly, don’t hesitate click that “end contract” button.
- If your client does not pay on time, effort and time is wasted!
- If your client violates your core value.
- If your client becomes increasingly demanding.
It was fun and I have learned different ideas from the event. These are but just a few of the learnings they can impart for you. It was a nice experience and I’m looking forward to have another one!Read more
I attended GDays Davao (Google Business Group – Davao Conference) last May. A representative from Google, Ms. Lindsay Taub, attended the event and she oversees the Google initiative for Women in Business. The event was a double launch of Google supported initiatives in Davao City specifically the Google Business Group (GBG) Davao and the Google Women in Business for Davao. A third group was also introduced and they are the Google group for programmers/coders in Davao.
The main theme of the whole event is the showcase of how Google and its tools help start-ups, entrepreneurs, corporations, organizations, advocacies, and specialists (virtual assistants, programmers, IT professionals) in their careers, professions, business, or day-to-day activities. The point here is that Google improves impact because of collaboration and innovation, and the tools and services are virtually cost-free.
To highlight this point, Google will launch globally in the next few months, a Search where it awards top organizations or individuals because they maximize the usage of Google tools in increasing the productivity and scope of their operations.
Specifically, the morning activities consisted of general presentations about Google tools (Calendar, Drive, Gmail, Hangout, and Google+). There was also a brief talk about the necessity of social media nowadays in marketing. The afternoon showcased six women who has been very successful in their profession and/or businesses, and they also provide testimony on how Google tools have contributed greatly to their bottom-line or causes.
There was one speaker who was not able to attend the event, as such, she made a video presentation of her speech instead. Her name is Rica Gadi and she is the owner and general manager of Now Outsourcing. She has decided to stop expanding her business because her number one success factor is not the company’s bottom line, but the improvement of the lives of her team. Being an active collaborator with Google has contributed positively to the image and marketability of her company especially when they were still new in the business. I see that this opportunity for www.MyOwnVA.com because I talked with the head of GBG Gensan (which has recently been awarded as the Top 2 Google group in the world), and they are looking for more start-ups to collaborate with.
Personally, I have a bias towards Google. But I have seen that active participation in GBG Davao may prove to be an asset to the image and marketability of MyOwnVA, if you guys choose to. In the next few months, GBG Davao will hold technical trainings on Google tools especially the combination of Google+, Hangout, Youtube, Blogger in the marketing of a company.
Read also My Own VA ServicesRead more